Welcome to America's Oldest Licensed Grain Operation


     1892 was the year that the first grain storage and flour milling facility was built on this site at 207 W. Price Street in Turon, Kansas by John R. Price.  The original "Turon Mill and Elevator Company" facility burned down, but was replaced by a new one on the same property and was powered by steam.  John (born in Wales in 1828) was originally in the railroad business, building and owning tracks in Kansas, Colorado, and other Southwestern territories.  John operated the mill until 1924 when it was purchased by brothers Rex and John Reed who operated it with the help of their sons.  During this time the flour mill produced 150 barrels of flour per day.  This included the brands Map-A-Kan and Pulman flours which were mainly shipped to sites in Missouri and Arkansas.  A premium flour "John R. Flour" was produced also, and was sold locally with the claim that is was "electrically purified."  Flour production was halted in 1938 by the Reeds with the main business being grain storage after that.  The company logo was adopted in the early 1900s and is still in use today.

  Upon his return from World War II, Bruce Zink and his friend Mr. Bidell, purchased the business in 1948 from the Reed brothers.  Bruce bought our Mr. Bidell's share in the 1960s.  He continued to operate and expand with the help of his wife Cleora and 3 daughters.  Bruce's daughters still own farm ground in the area, and their crops still come to The Mill.

  Bruce's son-in-law Mike VanCampen joined him in 1973.  They added chemical, fertilizer, and application to their services, and built more grain storage.  Bruce retired and sold The Mill to Mike and his wife Connie in 1980.  During Mike's tenure he built the first fertilizer dike in the state of Kansas, earning The Mill the 1st ever award from the National Chemical Association titled "Water Guardian" in 1989.  The Mill also earned earned the 1st ever "Environmental Respect" award from DuPont Chemical in 1991.

  Mike retired and sold the business to long-time employee Ed Marlow in 2003.  Ed had been hired by Bruce shortly before his retirement in 1980.  Ed's wife Dorothy joined him in the business at that time.  Just three years later in June 2006 a tornado destroyed 3 large bins, the grain dryer, and damaged the office.  The Mill was rebuilt to it's current capacity, and offers grain storage, fertilizer, chemical, seed, seed treatment, and custom application by licensed applicators.

  The Mill will continue with the family owned and operated tradition, as Ed's son-in-law, Colten Katz, joined the firm in 2011.  Colten and his wife Amanda will be taking over when Ed retires.